Create a CAD Twin
The CAD Twin is a Finite Element model with both assembly and file structure identical to the CAD model.
When changes are done to either parts or assemblies of the CAD model, the FE model will track changes and update itself accordigly.
Creating a CAD Twin in Meshparts is an automatic process consisting of reading the CAD structure and creating corresponding Meshparts assemblies and parts and finaly generating the mesh.
Start Meshparts and follow the next steps:
- Select a directory in the explorer tree where your CAD assembly is located.
- Right click and choose "New CAD import" from the context menu
In the new window click on "Browse" and select the STEP file of an assembly and Click "OK".
Make sure that the STEP file preserves the assembly structure of your model (don't export a single part for the whole assembly).
If you don't have a STEP file prepared, you can download our demo model directly from the software:
- Input this path into the address bar of the explorer tree: https://www.meshparts.de/StandardComponents/Schulung/XZAchsen
- Right click on the folder "XZAchsen" and choose "Download" from the context menu
Right click on the folder "XZAchsen" and choose "Go to online/offline path" from the context menu
Now, the demo STEP file is available on your local drive, most probably under C:/MESHPARTS-Offline/StandardComponents/Schulung/XZAchsen
- You can now inport this STEP file as described above.
Meshparts reads the assembly structure either directly from your CAD system or from the STEP file.
A symmetric file structure in Meshparts will be created.
The unmeshed parts will be meshed.
Parts that are already meshed will be reused or re-meshed if they are outdated.
If you are looking for the "Save" button: Meshparts automatically stores every change in your assembly. There is no need to manually "save".
Read more on 3D mouse and key bindings to learn how change the view of your model.